Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas 2010 really was merry and bright

Every year since the girl was about 2 we've hosted Christmas eve dinner at our house. It's a several hour affair, so we give a start time about an hour before dinner and we know  guests will come and go throughout the evening. No one is expected to show at a certain time and stay till a certain time it's all fairly informal.  We do this for 2 reasons 1) so we don't have to drag our children to see everyone that wants to see them 2) so on Christmas morning after they open their gifts they can stay in their pjs and actually play with all their new booty.

This year was no different we invited everyone who mattered in our lives to join us on Christmas eve in our home and most of them did. Of course not everyone is able to make it, some people have their own plans and family obligations to tend to and we understand that. We miss those that aren't able to make it and wish they could have joined us but we get it.

This year was really no different than any other a few different faces some regulars weren't able to make it and some people who don't regularly make it did. All in all it was a success. I enjoyed spending time with each and every person who came my only regret is that I never seem to have enough time for each person. I have to spread myself out so I can chat with everyone and I always feel like I could have spent a little more quality time with each of them but that's part of life I guess. I hope that everyone that came enjoyed themselves as much as we did, as I said if you were invited to be here with us you matter and we love you.

There are a couple things that could have made our Christmas Eve tradition a little bit more perfect, like having my mom here with us. I know me and the kids missed her, especially me and the girl. The girl has this really strong bond with her grammy and she misses her on regular days but things like Christmas when your supposed to have all your family around well that gets her a little bit. And well even at 30 I'm a little bit of a mamas girl and I've been going through some emotional crap lately and I'm really missing my mom so it would have been really perfect if she could have been here. But she couldn't get away from work, so she's 1070 mile away in sunny Florida celebrating with my grandpa and great gram but she better have her bony butt up here next year or I might have to fly down there and drag her up myself.

So after the Christmas eve festivities Christmas morning was of course chaotic with the 2 munchkins opening all their presents. It started at 8a.m. and by 8:06a.m. wrapping paper was flying through the air. Lots of giggling and smiling ensued. I had 2 very happy little ones on my hands. By 9 everything had been opened and the kids were ready to get down to the business of playing. Which as all the parents out there know is where the migraine comes in, getting all those fun toys out of the packages. I swear most of what we pay for isn't the toy but all the crap they use to keep the damn thing in the box.

So all in all my bank account is smarting but other than that Christmas turned out to be pretty merry and bright after all. There were moments when I wasn't sure it would be, but I fought my butt off and in the end it was all worth it for the smiles on my babies faces, and the time spent with all the people who matter in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment